The road to the plant’s legalization in the nation was long and difficult to navigate. With the government’s approval of cannabis use only for medical purposes in 2018, it took a big step toward legalization with the new law on CBD in Thailand. As of right now, Thailand is the first nation in Asia that has legalized marijuana and permitted its personal use, cultivation, and possession.
Our Ecosystem : Vietnam, Australia 1, Singapore 1, Thailand, Australia 2, Singapore 2, USA 1, Australia 3, Singapore 3, USA 2, Singapore 4, Australia 4, Ecommerce, USA 3
New regulations for CBD in foodThree announcements governing the inclusion of cannabidiol (CBD) as a food component have been made by the Ministry of Public Health. In order to protect consumers, the legislation calls for tighter CBD usage. To regulate the usage of hemp and cannabis, regulations have been put in place. The first announcement requires that food goods that include either cannabis, hemp, or both be clearly labeled. Food goods that don’t comply with the labeling criteria must change within two years. Tetrahydrocannabinol, the primary psychoactive ingredient in cannabis, and 0.0028% CBD are the maximum amounts that can be found in food products that are sold or supplied directly to customers, such as condiments. THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) levels in other food products are limited to 1.6 grams per item, and CBD levels are restricted to 1.41 grams per item. Warnings against excessive use of products containing cannabis or hemp must be included on product labels, among other essential information. The second announcement increases the maximum amount of CBD that can be discovered in hemp seed oil. In accordance with the third statement, CBD may be used with other food ingredients that are safe for human consumption. The new law on CBD in Thailand is intended to simplify cannabis and hemp-related prohibitions and give clarity to food preparation and labeling, which will be advantageous to the food industry.
What retailers can and cannot Do Now in Thailand’s Cannabis Laws
Register via appFrom June 9 2022, those who plan to produce marijuana will not need a permit, but they will need to register using the “Plook Ganja” app from the Food and Drug Administration.
Cannabis, hemp, and other plant parts may be importedThe 1964 Plant Quarantine Act and the 1975 Plants Act, however, require them to apply for import authorization. It is necessary to obtain authorization before importing plant components that are listed as Category 5 Narcotics.
Cannabis smoking is permitted for?Only medical use of marijuana is permitted. Smoking cannabis for recreational purposes is prohibited and only authorized cannabis products may be in possession.
What is the consequence of using the drug?The Public Health Act states that anyone who smokes cannabis or hemp and whose smoke or odor is deemed offensive without a valid defense faces up to a month in jail or a fine of up to THB 2,000.
What you can do
- Cannabis can be grown indoors, but first, you must register on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)’s official website.
- Cannabis can be grown for commercial use, and it can be used to make products, but you must register such products on the FDA website.
- Cannabis can be used recreationally, but only inside your home and without bothering or upsetting nearby residents (due to scent, for example).
- Patients may own enough cannabis to last them for 30 days and utilize it for medical purposes.
What you cannot do
- Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the active ingredient in marijuana that causes the “high,” cannot be present in cannabis products in concentrations more than 0.2 percent.
- Cannabis usage and smoking are prohibited in public places, such as malls and schools, as well as in large gatherings where other people may find the fragrance offensive.
- Anyone under the age of 20, expectant or nursing mothers, and people who fit into other categories are prohibited from purchasing cannabis by the new law on CBD in Thailand.
- Cannabis cannot be brought into or out of Thailand in any way.